Friday, June 29, 2012

Derpin' in Antwerpen

I write. I love to do it, and when asked what, exactly, do I write? I am never sure how to answer correctly. On occasion, I write lengthy letters that may or may not be sent. I write rants and raves about things no one need ever pay attention to because they are usually born out of a burning pen and anxty ink. I write words, words, words concerning master Shakespeare and his extensive list of issues (and there are many). I write journal entries in all caps proclaiming, "I HAVE DRY SKIN AND A LOT OF READING TO DO." I write with a lot of grammar mistakes. I write for myself. However, today, I write about our adventures in Antwerp and Bruges and our abandoned chocolate factory hostel.






Here are a few things Belgium does correctly: fashionable shopping, chocolate that would make a diabetic squeal, and warm waffles. We arrived in Antwerp, only to discover that our hostel was, in fact, in a Moroccan neighborhood and used to be an abandoned chocolate factory. I am still not over the ridiculousness of that fact.



We have been enjoying our time in Belgium, Dutch-language-barrier and all. We shopped along some adorable Antwerp streets for one day then headed out to the beautiful town of Bruges the next. This, my friends, is where we tasted the perfection that is a Belgian waffle; made for us by a man who blew a kiss to us as we left asking us to come back for more. We almost did.


They weren't even deep fried as I thought they might be. There is no picture documented, but my face was covered in powdered sugar once we were through (I am still an American, and apparently Europeans aren't as messy as I am).


We also took a little boat tour after our waffles and enjoyed the warm sun, our fingers petting the canal water, and the scenic sights of Bruges. It was one of the most delightful days we've had, possibly due to the sugar high from the waffles, but still, Belgium has been good to us and we can't wait for the rock werchter festival tomorrow!!



PS Belgian chocolate beats Swiss chocolate, but both beat The US. Sorry Hershey's, tough break.




Madd.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment