Thursday, June 7, 2012

Peanut Butter Sandwiches for lunch and wet socks for dinner

Madeline here!
Currently, I'm sitting in my warm hostel bed watching the sun pour through my window, (of course earlier it rained on our "afternoon in Hyde Park" idea), England's flag is flying, and there are quite a few British guys playing some football (soccer) at a nearby field. But don't worry, that's the cute, romanticized sentence that lacks a few details. For instance, I just came from the shared bathroom where I, without fail, have to wipe up British boy bodily fluid off of the toilet seat, I have eaten next to nothing in the past week, and my picturesque window has a few deceased 8-legged friends awaiting their proper burial. Yum.




Who are we kidding? I've loved every second. Through the strained hamstrings, the directionally challenged cargo that is yours truly, and the chalky instant coffee, I've discovered a few treasures as well. First, there's Nutella and Tesco Express. Nutella for the spirits (I've never had it before), and Tesco for everything else. It's a cheaper Walgreens that has supplied us with a weeks worth of lunch and dinner for close to £6.




There's a list going for things we wish we'd done, travel items worth investing in, and mistakes we're learning from. We've discovered that it's all about the nitty-gritty when traveling, rather than the number of sights you see, so if you're a future traveler, stay tuned!




We have absolutely LOVED London! It was a fantastic way to begin our long journey. The people are lovely, the Tube is our new best friend, and the sights are spectacular.












One of my favorite things we've done has to be walking through Westminster Abbey. If you ever get the chance to go, do the audio tour! It's worth it, mostly because Jeremy Irons (Scar in "The Lion King) is your guide. His rich voice makes you feel like some sort of mega-history buff, or maybe that's just me.




I have to laugh because I just asked Maggie her favorite sight so I could write it down (figuring it would be the London Eye-kidding, she hates heights) and she answered Westminster too. We ARE sisters after all.




One of my favorite quotes from the trip so far came from two very sweet Finnish girls in our hostel. One of them took a long look at our bags and said, "so...you are gone for five weeks and all of your clothes are in...there?" When we answered yes, the other one came in with the save, thinking she figured it out, "oh, well then you will go shopping!" Their facial expressions to our confident "no" was absolutely priceless.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment